Adopting a process leveraged by all the best brands, Turboant listened to customer feedback on the extremely popular X7 Pro and set to work on developing an upgrade shorn of its predecessor’s imperfections. The result was the X7 Max, a model that’s gone on to become one of the market’s most popular entry-level electric scooters and winner of not one, but two Electric Scooter Insider awards.
Featuring a detachable battery with new drivetrain software, the X7 Max not only comes with an increased range, but also a finessed folding mechanism, sharpened brakes, taller handlebars, and an updated display. All constitute significant upgrades on the Pro.
Is it the best electric scooter under $600? I think so. But I’ll let you be the judge. To help you, I’ve summarized the results from my performance tests into 16 reasons why you should and shouldn’t buy it.
14 Reasons to Buy the Turboant X7 Max
1. In our 2022 Electric Scooter Insider Awards, the X7 Max won the Best Electric Scooter of the Year, as voted for by thousands of our readers.
2. It’s the indisputable chart-topper for both speed and range in the sub $600 category, but it even manages to stand its ground against more expensive models.
3. Propelled by a 36V 350W motor, it’s a nippy little operator that can accelerate to 15 mph in 6.9 seconds before reaching its 20 mph top speed. It’s even 14% quicker off the mark than its more expensive competitor, the GoTrax GMAX Ultra ($849).
4. One of the key reasons behind its award-winning status is its detachable battery, which comes with a secure key lock. The 10Ah unit can deliver a maximum range of 32 miles on a single charge (or 18 miles when ridden in its fastest mode).
5. Turboant sells additional batteries for $220, meaning you can take your scooter from 32 miles to 64 miles for a fraction of the cost of other long-range electric scooters. Compared to scooters that achieve this type of mileage, the X7 Max is 45% cheaper.
6. Well-calibrated brake pads are responsible for a 40% improvement in stopping distance compared to the X7 Pro. When you slam both brakes on you’ll stop in just 3.0 meters from 15 mph.
7. With a tall stem, long frame, and spacious deck, the X7 Max accommodates riders of all sizes. I did some tests to see the maximum height at which it could be ridden without hunching over and found that those up to 6.4 ft can comfortably ride it. Its ability to support riders up to 275 lbs means it's popular among heavy riders, too.
8. It’s just one of three scooters in its price class to sport tires that are both large – at 10 inches – and pneumatic. The other two are, ironically, the Turboant X7 Pro and Turboant M10. Thanks to a thick layer of air, the tires cushion the scooter from the irregularities of sidewalks and streets. Plus, with wider sidewalls, the risk of pinch flats is greatly reduced.
9. The all-in-one thumb throttle bolsters your sense of control. Unlike other scooters that spread their controls across the cockpit, the thumb throttle on the X7 Max not only facilitates smooth acceleration, but is also home to the buttons that control the scooter’s power, riding modes, and lights. It’s the most ergonomic setup of all budget electric scooters.
10. The X7 Max affords excellent stability, control, and maneuverability, making it incredibly agile and fun to carve on.
11. Everything in its design, from the superb cable management to the durable frame, and reinforced fenders to the IPX4 water-resistance rating, has been built for longevity.
12. Folding the scooter takes less than 3 seconds thanks to a new and improved one-click latch folding mechanism.
13. The seamlessly integrated display is clean, tidy, and easy to read at a glance. It’s also bright enough to read under direct sunlight.
14. The X7 Max still manages to sport the best lighting setup among scooters in its price class (includes a headlight and taillight). I still recommend adding an extra headlight, though.
2 Reasons NOT to Buy the Turboant X7 Max
1. Those with small hands may find it difficult to carry the X7 Max when folded because of its thick stem-mounted battery. Instead of carrying the scooter by gripping the entire circumference of the stem, you have to adopt a grip where your palm is open and your fingers are wrapped underneath.
2. As a result of the stem-mounted battery, the X7 Max has a top-heavy design. When lifting the unfolded scooter by its handlebars, the chassis swings freely and can knock you in the ankles and shins if you're not careful
For the vast majority of riders, the ideal electric scooter is a combination of practicality and reliability with a topping of fun factor. The Turboant X7 Max is exemplary in all three areas. It’s the perfect scooter for everyday use, whether you need it for your commute, daily errands, or a trip to the park at the weekend.